Saturday, February 25, 2012

Our Garden Rules

Winthrop Manor/Byrd Park Neighborhood Community Garden

Annual Plot Agreement: January 1, 2012 - December 31, 2012

I will pay a fee of $70.00 ($50 base rate + $20 first year start-up costs) for a full plot (approximately 4’ x 8’) to help cover expenses related to my use of the garden plot, shed, water supply, workshops, and other activities. I understand that this fee is not refundable. I will turn in the fee (payable to Tricycle Gardens) with my signed Annual Plot Agreement to the Garden Steward by April 14, 2012.

I understand that my use of the garden plot is allowed through the generosity of Winthrop Manor and its management. I also understand that this plot is on private property. I will abide by the rules and restrictions set forth by Winthrop Manor and will adhere to all instructions from Winthrop Manor staff. If I fail to follow any rule or instruction (and thereby jeopardize the community’s use of this property) I may be asked to relinquish my garden plot immediately.

I understand that leases are an annual agreement. In this inaugural year, the lease covers the time period from the commencement of the garden to December 31, 2012. Subsequent years will cover January 1 through December 31.

I understand that plots for this first year are available first come, first served to those who turn in signed lease forms and fees and that any applicants in excess of twenty will be put on the waiting list.

I understand that gardeners from the previous season will have first preference and may choose either the same plot or a vacant plot if one exists.

I understand that if I don’t maintain my plot throughout the growing season, I may be declined renewal for the following year. Maintenance includes removing wire grass and other pervasive weeds in a timely fashion as they not only impact my plot but also the plots of my neighboring gardeners. Abandoned plots will be given immediately to applicants on the waiting list.

I understand that I am required to give some volunteer time back to the garden, either by participating in work days, mowing the lawn, watering communal plants, or other volunteer activities at the garden.

I will plant tall crops only where they will not shade neighboring plots and I will pick only my own crops.

I will use only organic fertilizers, insecticides and herbicides, and use them in such a way as not to affect other plots.

If I must abandon my plot for any reason I will notify the Garden Stewards, [Leslie Hartman 212-1961 or Hayley DeRoche 350-7551]. I understand that garden plots cannot be passed onto family members, friends, or housemates.

I will keep trash and litter cleaned from the plot, as well as from adjacent pathways and fences.

I understand that no alcohol or smoking is allowed on the garden property, except for special functions.

I understand that no one under the age of eighteen (18) years will participate in the program without close adult supervision.

I understand that neither the garden group nor owners of the land are responsible for my actions.

In preparation for renewing plots for 2013, I understand that plots for which signed lease forms and fees have not been received by December 31, 2012 will be assigned to applicants on the waiting list.

I therefore agree to hold harmless the Byrd Park Community Garden and Winthrop Manor (owners of the land) for any liability, damage, loss or claim that occurs in connection with the use of the garden by me or my guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment